How to make Baked Potato Chips
We will discuss two methods for making baked potato chips. There are slight differences in the methods (it is a recipe after all). You will get great results regardless of the method you use.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Cut the potatoes into 1/8-inch thick slices and place into a bowl.Toss with the oil.Add salt to season. Place the potatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Add more salt and pepper when you remove them from the oven.
- Cool slightly so they become crisper.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut the potatoes into 1/8-inch thick slices.
- Boil water and cook the potatoes for about 5 minutes.
- Drain well. Season potatoes with the salt and pepper.
- Put the potato slices on the baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for 15 minutes or until they are golden brown.
- Cool slightly. Serve.
- Potato chips were created by mistake. In 1853, the railroad magnate Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt was eating at a resort in Saratoga Springs. He returned his fried potatoes back to the kitchen because he claimed that they were too thick. Chef George Crum, to annoy his rude guest, sliced some potatoes paper thin and added salt to them. Surprisingly, Vanderbilt loved it and it became a thing.