How to Make Alsatian Plum Tart
- Take a big clean bowl and pour half of the milk in it.
- Add the yeast to the milk in order for it to dissolve in it.
- Add 2 tablespoons of flour to it and stir well until it starts becoming a soft paste.
- Now pour this mixture into a baking tin, cover it with a cloth or plastic sheet and let it rise for 30 minutes.
- Take a master blender used to whip cream and add egg, caster sugar, salt remaining flour and milk to it and set the machine on ‘dough’. Let it run for 15 minutes until everything has mixed together and a smooth texture is formed.
- Now slowly start adding butter until it becomes rich and shiny.
- Roll this dough out by hand in a round baking tin, cover the edges and let it sit for a while
- Cut the plums in half and arrange them on top of the dough as such that they slightly overlap with each other.
- For the filling, start by beating the sugar, egg, crème fraîche and cinnamon powder together in a bowl. Add chopped hazelnuts and pistachios and mix them together.
- Pour this filling on top of the plums and place the tray in a preheated oven at 200 degrees for about 20 minutes or until the pastry turns golden brown but still soft
- Sprinkle with some sugar and cinnamon powder.
- National Plum day is celebrated on 7th of January
Plums were domesticated 2000 years ago in China and have been praised by Confucius in his writings.