Top Tips to Decorate Cakes
There’s nothing quite as tasty and incredible as a homemade cake. In this article, we present some useful tips for writing on the cake and for decorating your cake. You need some basic tools for decorating the cake. These are: a turntable, offset spatula, cardboard cake board, and a bench scraper.
It is very essential to freeze a cake for at least 1 hour. This will make decorating it much easier as the surface will be firm. Once the cake is baked, allow it to cool and immediately wrap with plastic wrap. The cake is wrapped so that no layer of the cake is left exposed.
Cake decoration tips
- It is also important to understand what a crumb coat is. This is a very thin layer of frosting that prevents loose crumbs from coming on the outside surface of the cake.
- Once the layers of the cake are frosted or the fillings are filled in between them, take the offset spatula and spread a thin layer of frosting all over the outer side of the cake.
- A bench scraper should be used to smooth the edges of the cake. Finally, the cake should be placed in the freezer.
- To achieve smooth edges on the cake, hold the bench scraper in your right hand and use the other for gripping the turntable. Rotate the cake and press the bench scraper against the side. Rotate at an even pace. You need to continue scraping until the desired smoothness is achieved.
- Using scallops is an easy way for decorating the cake. You need a zip lock bag and a small spoon. Fill the frosting in one corner of the zip lock bag and cut off the corner. Hold it perpendicular to the cake and decorate the cake from the bottom to the top.