All You Need to Know About The Benefits of Barley Water
Interestingly enough, barley is believed to be one of the world’s oldest grains. Barley-based foods are known to have a lot of health benefits. Let’s learn more about why barley water is an elixir and what it holds in store for you.
Health benefits of barley water
The following are some health benefits of barley water.
- One of the most important nutritional aspects of barley is the presence of dietary fiber which helps ensure the healthy functioning of the digestive system. The consumption of barley can be beneficial for those who suffer from constipation.
- The consumption of barley can also reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Barley water can also help lower blood cholesterol levels in the blood.
- The use of barley water can also help maintain a balance in the gut bacteria. Barley water helps reduce the growth of bacteria called bacteroides which are usually associated with anaerobic infections that affect the heart, joints, bones, and abdomen.
- Barley water promotes the growth of good bacteria which can help regulate the levels of blood sugar. This not only reduces the risk of type-2 diabetes but is also a great way for those with diabetes to balance their blood sugar levels.
- Barley water satiates hunger and will keep you full for a long time. Consuming barley water is a great way to regularize your digestion process and maintaining a low weight.
- Barley water is rich in antioxidants, vitamins, copper, iron, manganese, and folate. The presence of antioxidants helps in combating the effects of free radicals which can cause diseases and oxidative stress in the body.
Risks associated with barley water
It is important to note that barley contains gluten so people who are gluten intolerant should not eat barley. Headaches, rashes, and nausea are some of the symptoms of wheat allergy.