Here Are the Essential Ingredients for Every Baker
The list of ingredients needed in baking is quite long. These are kept in the fridge, freezer, and cupboard. Here is a list of the essential ingredients that are required for everyday baking. These can be used for pancakes, cookies, muffins, pies, and cakes.
Essential Ingredients for The Baker
- All-purpose flour: We will start with the first essential ingredient which is all-purpose flour. It is needed to make everything from cookies to pancakes. It is made from hard and soft wheat and is fluffy and light in texture. It is always recommended to buy small quantities of flour to prevent them from spoiling. If you want nutritional content, you can replace the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour. It should be stored in an airtight container in a cool and dark place or in the refrigerator.
- Leaveners: These are the products that cause the batter and dough to rise. There are two types of leaveners: biological and chemical.
- Baking soda is a chemical leavener while yeast is a biological leavener. Baking soda when combined will ferment dairy products like yogurt, buttermilk, citrus juice, and vinegar.
- Baking soda is the leavener that is mixed with cornstarch and powdered acid to make baking powder. When it is added to the batter or dough, it causes it to rise.
- Yeast is highly perishable and should be stored in a refrigerator. It is added to bread.
- Sugar: This includes both granulated and confectioner’s sugar. The latter is also called powdered sugar. Granulated sugar is made from beets or sugarcane. Confectioner’s sugar is used in frostings and icings. A third type is brown sugar.
- Salt: You can use granulated table salt in everyday baking. Sea salt can also be used.
- Dairy: Butter, eggs, milk, and buttermilk are important ingredients.
- Oil: Vegetable oil and olive oil
- Extracts and flavorings: Vanilla extract, lemon extract, almond extract, etc.
- Spices: Ginger, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.