- In a pan, dry roast wheat flour over medium flame, stirring continuously.
- Roast it till it gives a nice aroma and turns slightly brown.
- Transfer the roasted wheat flour into a bowl. Allow it to cool down.
- Add a pinch of salt, cardamom powder(optional).
- Sprinkle little water to the wheat flour and mix it well.
- The mixture should be slightly wet. Remove any lumps while mixing.
- Empty the mixture into a mixer grinder.
- Pre-heat the pressure cooker.
- Put the bowl of mixture into the cooker.
- Steam cook it for 8 – 10 minutes on a medium flame.
- Turn off the flame. Wait until it cools down a little.
- Once you remove the bowl from the cooker, add grated coconut, ghee and sprinkle sugar/jaggery as per taste.
- Mix well and healthy wheat puttu is ready to serve.
The first cultivation of wheat occurred above 10,000 years ago. They originated from the south-eastern part of Turkey.
It is estimated that it takes 1,200 tons of water to produce a ton of wheat.