How to make Rice Puttu
- In a pan, Dry roast brown rice flour over medium flame, stirring continuously.
- Roast it till it gives nice aroma heated flour.
- Transfer the roasted brown rice flour into a bowl and let it cool.
- Add a pinch of salt and sprinkle little water to the brown rice flour and mix it well.
- (Note: Mixture should be slightly wet but not lumpy)
- Take a pressure cooker, Pre-heat it.
- Put the bowl of mixture into the cooker and make sure the mixture is loosely spread in the bowl and steam cook it for 8 to 10mins on medium flame
- Turn off the flame and allow it to cool.
- Take the bowl of the mixture from the cooker and add grated coconut, 1tsp of ghee and sprinkle the 2 to 3 tbsp of sugar as per taste(optional)
- Mix it, and the healthy rice putty is ready to serve
According to the India Tourism report, in 2006, students of the Oriental school of Hotel Management in Wayanad in north Kerala made a 10-foot long puttu in 90 minutes. They prepared the giant puttu in a specially designed 12-foot long aluminum mold, using 20 coconuts and 26 kg of powdered rice.