- Cut the cantaloupe into 8 wedges. Do not remove the seeds.
- Remove the flesh from the skin of the cantaloupe.
- Take the prosciutto or the ham, and wrap each slice around the cantaloupe wedge.
- Serve cold.
- Prosciutto e Melone is a classic Italian first course dish that is traditionally served with crostini, grissini and mozzarella tomatoes.
- The origin of Prosciutto e Melone is reportedly dated back to 2nd century A.D.
- The first mention of Prosciutto e Melone can be traced back to the theories of an Italian doctor, Galeno.
Melon, in the medieval times, was deemed as a highly dangerous fruit for its juiciness and cold texture. Pairing it with ham, having dry and warm nature, counterbalanced it. From there onwards, the dish, Prosciutto e Melone prevailed.