How to make Keerai Vadai
- Soak dal for 2-3 hours.
- Grind into a thick and smooth batter with the green chillies.
- Use a minimum amount of water while grinding.
- Wash and separate the leaves from the stem of the keerai.
- Chop the keerai into fine pieces.
- Add the asafoetida, chopped greens, chopped onion, and salt to the ground batter.
- Mix well.
- Heat enough oil to deep fry vadas
- Flatten a big lemon sized ball in a greased (with water) ziplock cover.
- Note: You can use a piece of banana leaf too.
- Coat your hands thoroughly with water before taking the ball of batter.
- Flatten the ball of batter.
- Make a hole in the center.
- Transfer the flattened vada to your greased hand and place into the hot oil.
- Cook both sides over a medium flame until they turn golden brown in color.
- Heat oil while you flatten the vada again.
- Lower the flame while you cook.
- Repeat the process to finish the batter.
Vadai is used as an offering during Hindu festivals.