How to Make Italian Bread Bowls
- Dissolve yeast in warm water inside a large bowl.
- Let stand until it becomes creamy – about 10 minutes.
- Add salt, oil, and 4 cups flour to the yeast mixture.
- Beat the mixture well.
- Stir in the remaining flour – 1/2 cup at a time.
- Beat well with an electric mixer at medium speed after each addition.
- Turn thedough out onto a lightly floured surface when it has pulled together.
- Knead until smooth and elastic – about 6 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl.
- Place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil.
- Cover with a damp cloth and let the dough rise in a warm place until it doubles in volume.
- Punch down the dough and divide it into 8 equal portions.
- Shape each portion into a 4 inch round loaf.
- Place loaves on lightly greased baking sheets sprinkled with cornmeal.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until the dough doubles in size.
- Preheat oven to 200 °
- Beat together egg white and 1 tbsp water in a small bowl.
- Lightly brush the loaves with half of this egg wash.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 min.
- Brush with remaining egg mixture.
- Bake 10 to 15 more minutes or until golden.
- Cool on wire racks.
To Make Bowls:
- Cut a ½ in thick slice from the top of each loaf.
- Scoop out the centers leaving 3/4-inch-thick shells.
- Fill bread bowls with hot soup.
- Serve and enjoy!
There is a Taiwanese variant of the bread bowl called the "Coffin Lid".