- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds seeded and peeled squash, cut into 1-inch chunks/pieces
- 1 large onion
- 1 tbsp of butter
- a pinch of sugar
- 3 large garlic cloves (thickly sliced)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp of ground cloves
- cayenne pepper 1/8 teaspoon
- 3 cups of chicken broth (homemade or canned)
- 1 1/2 cups of half-and-half (or whole) milk
- salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- apple chips (store bought) for garnishing
Creamy butternut squash and cinnamon soup is simply a bowl of comfort food perfect for a cold wintery day. The velvety and buttery texture of butternut squash with the subtly sweet and savory flavored cinnamon highlighted beautifully, this soup makes a great treat. If you like thick creamy soups, butternut squash cinnamon soup is a must try, have it as an appetizer or light supper along with a bread of your choice.
Cinnamon has been used as herbal medication for more than a few centuries. Packed with antioxidants great for immunity, cinnamon also has anti-inflammatory properties.
How to make Creamy Butternut Squash with Cinnamon Soup
Cinnamon is a native to Sri Lanka and the South Indian region. An interesting fact about cinnamon is that its presence is found in the Chinese writings dating back to 2800 BC.
Cinnamon was widely used by the ancient Egyptians for their body preserving (or embalming) procedure.