- ¼ pounds of garbanzo beans
- 2 tbsp red onions chopped up
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/3 cup of chopped parsley
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp pepper or to taste
Want something that is low in fat and high in protein? The chickpea salad with red onion and tomato is just the right dish. The ingredients are easy to find and can be assembled even in a makeshift kitchen environment, it’s so easy you could assemble this in an office break room if you are motivated enough.
The good thing about this dish is the incredibly versatility when it comes to taste, you can adjust all the flavors, add a few of your favorite vegetables and it would still hold up.
There are several health benefits associated with chickpeas, which is part of the reason why they are so popular in the Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cultures.
- Bone structure: The presence of iron, calcium, magnesium, manganese and zinc in chickpeas combine perfectly to build and sustain bone structure.
- Blood pressure: Chickpeas are very low in sodium but high in potassium. Adding them into your diet is definitely beneficial because of the low quantity of salt.
- Cardiovascular health: There is plenty of potassium, vitamin C and vitamin B6 in chickpeas. This helps to regulate and lower cholesterol levels in the blood and directly decrease heart disease.
- Constipation: Millions of adults report having improper bowel movements, but it can be cured by having a more fiber intensive diet. Eating chickpeas is commonly known to prevent constipation and regulate a healthy digestive tract.
How to make Chickpea Salad with Red Onion and Tomato