Chicken Fried Bacon with Cream Gravy
For Fried Bacon :
thick sliced bacon (cut in half)
milk (you can also use either cream or half-and-half)
salt, ground black pepper, paprika, garlic powder and other spices of choice (all just one pinch)
Oil for deep-frying
For Cream Gravy :
Salt and pepper to taste
How to Make Chicken Fried Bacon with Cream Gravy
For Fried Bacon
- Heat oil in a deep pan over medium high heat.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl whish together the egg and milk.
- In another wide mouth bowl, add the flour and season with spices that you prefer, and mix together.
- When the oil is hot enough, dip a bacon strip into the egg mixture, then coat it with flour and repeat.
- Drop the double dipped bacon strip into the hot oil and fry until it turns golden brown.
- Take out on paper towels to strain oil.
- Serve hot as a side with steak, or with cream gravy for dipping.
For Cream Gravy
- Heat butter or beef drippings in a sauce pan over medium high heat.
- Add the flour to the sauce pan a little bit at a time, while whisking is vigorously to avoid forming lumps.
- When all the flour is blended into the butter, cook the flour for 2-3 minutes or until bubbly.
- Turn the heat off and pour the milk in the sauce pan in a steady stream, while whisking continuously until the gravy thickens.
- Whisk in the cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve alongside the chicken friend bacon as a dipping sauce.
Chicken fried bacon was invented by Frank Sodolak, the owner of the Sodolak’s Original Country Inn in Texas, USA. Since then it had gained notoriety and has been featured on different TV shows, and also in comedian John Kelso’s Texas Curiosities.