Sugar Syrup Recipe
- Pour 1 cup of sugar in a wide pan.
- Add 1 cup of water and heat to a boil.
- Simmer for 4 minutes till the sugar syrup becomes slightly sticky.
- Add cardamom powder.
- Add lemon juice to stop the crystallization process.
- Cover and keep aside.
Bread Gulab Jamun Recipe:
- Cut the sides of 6 bread slices.
- Blend the slices into a fine breadcrumb like powder.
- Add 1 tbsp of cream and 2-3 tbsp of milk powder.
- Crumble and mix well.
- Slowly add warm milk a little at a time and knead to a smooth and soft dough.
- Roll dough into small balls while greasing ghee to hands.
Note: make sure there are no cracks in the balls.
- Heat the oil or ghee on low to medium flame.
- Fry the jamuns when the oil it is moderately hot.
- Fry the balls at a low temperature while stirring in between.
- Fry till the balls until they turn golden brown.
- Drop the hot jamuns into hot sugar syrup immediately.
- Boil the sugar syrup for 1 minute.
- Cover the lid and let set for 2 hours.
Note: bread gulab jamuns should have doubled in size.
- Serve warm with ice cream or cold garnished with few chopped nuts.
Some food historians believe the first gulab jamun was made by the personal chef of a Mughal emperor.