- 1 lb medium shrimp - peeled and deveined
- 27 oz coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- 1-inch piece galangal – thinly sliced
- 4 stalks lemon grass – bruised and chopped
- 10 kaffir lime leaves – torn in half
- 1 lb shiitake mushrooms – sliced
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp green onion – thinly sliced
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes – dried
This authentic Thai coconut soup makes for a perfect side dish or even an entire meal. It is bold, flavorful, and encompasses everything you love about Thai food. In Thailand, it is called tom kha kai, and is noted for its spicy and sour disposition. Its main ingredient is of course, coconut milk, and it comes in a variety of styles. Once you learn to make this dish, you will want to experiment and make it your own.
This soup is exactly what you need if you are trying to improve your health profile. Its primary ingredient is coconut milk which is a food item that is packed with health benefits. Coconut milk is a substance that derives directly from the flesh of the coconut. It contains magnesium, iron, copper, manganese, selenium, folate, and vitamin C. It can help to improve your blood circulation, protect your heart health, and improve your digestion.
How to make Authentic Thai Coconut Soup