Authentic Thai Coconut Soup
1 lb medium shrimp - peeled and deveined
27 oz coconut milk
2 cups water
1-inch piece galangal – thinly sliced
4 stalks lemon grass – bruised and chopped
10 kaffir lime leaves – torn in half
1 lb shiitake mushrooms – sliced
1/4 cup lime juice
3 tbsp fish sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp curry powder
1 tbsp green onion – thinly sliced
1 tsp red pepper flakes – dried
How to make Authentic Thai Coconut Soup
- Boil a pot of water.
- Add the shrimp until cooked.
- Drain the shrimp then set aside.
- Pour the coconut milk and 2 cups of water in a large saucepan;
- Add the lime leaves, galangal, and lemon grass.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes to fuse the flavors.
- Strain the coconut milk into a new pan.
- Simmer the mushrooms in the coconut milk for five minutes.
- Stir in the brown sugar, lime juice, and fish sauce.
- Season to taste using curry powder.
- Reheat shrimp in the soup to serve.
- Ladle into serving bowls.
- Garnish with red pepper flakes and green onion.