Bad breath is very embarrassing and can be treated with little knowledge and proper hygiene. The most common cause of bad breath is a dry mouth. This means that you have not been drinking enough water and the production of saliva is lower compared to the normal levels. If you do not brush your teeth carefully, bacteria will cause bad breath.
Another common cause of bad breath is the consumption of onion or garlic. Also, fasting and crash dieting are the main causes of bad breath. Here are some home remedies to treat bad breath.
You should also consult your dentist who will be the best guide in this regard.
Home remedies for bad breath
- Stay hydrated: Bacteria develop in a dry mouth and to prevent this, drink water regularly. If the mouth is hydrated, it will produce saliva regularly and eliminate the chances of bad breath.
- Clean your tongue regularly: Clean the back of your tongue regularly to eliminate bad breath. You should ideally clean your tongue after every meal.
- Brush your teeth twice daily. The food particles that attach to the teeth cause bad breath.
- Quit smoking: Smoking is one of the main causes that stain the teeth and result in a bad odor. Avoid foods such as onion and garlic.
- Use a mouthwash: Use a mouthwash after you brush your teeth. Swirl in your mouth and spit. This will reduce bad breath. We recommend using herbal or homemade mouthwashes.
- Eat fennel which is a natural breath freshener. It is also known to increase the production of saliva and has anti-bacterial properties. Chew fennel seeds or cloves. These have antiseptic properties.
- If you wear dentures, remove them at night and clean properly. As always, consult your dentist first.
- Replace your toothbrush every three months.