Cold and congestion are very annoying and make you feel highly uncomfortable. While there are medicines available in the market to treat the condition, you could try using home remedies and DIY solutions as well. However, remember to consult your doctor first. Here are some remedies that you can use at home to reduce nasal and chest congestion.
Also Read: Here’s the Best Tea to Treat Colds
Removing nasal and chest congestion
- Mix ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar, add 2 tbsp honey, and ¼ cup of fresh lime juice. Add ½ tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp of dried ginger and ½ tsp of turmeric powder and mix them well. Add a pinch of black pepper powder and mix all the ingredients thoroughly. Take 1 tsp of this mixture every day. You can refrigerate it or store it in an insulated jar for use later. This will help to remove the congestion in the nose and chest.
- Mix ¼ cup of shea butter and ¼ cup of coconut oil. Add a few drops of lemon, peppermint, and eucalyptus essential oil. Mix thoroughly. Keep this rub in an airtight container. Apply small quantities on the back and chest to get relief from congestion. You can also mix a small amount of this rub in hot water and inhale the steam to experience relief from nasal congestion.
- Abstain from the consumption of alcohol and coffee as they will cause dehydration.
- Another natural remedy to combat chest congestion is to drink warm water to which lemon and honey have been added.
- It is very essential to stay hydrated— consume hot liquids to get relief from a stuffy nose. You can drink chamomile and green tea to get relief from chest congestion.
- You should consume foods that are rich in zinc and vitamin C.