Insect bites are very common in the summer months. Bees, mosquitoes, spiders, and wasps are the predators on the lookout for prey during the summer months. Always remember to wear full-sleeved clothes during the summer months. Here are some ways to heal insect bites.
Natural remedies for insect bites
- Ice pack: Apply ice pack on the affected area for 20 minutes. This will make the area numb and also help in reducing the swelling.
- Papaya: Place a slice of papaya on the affected area. Allow it to remain there for 1 hour. The enzymes present in papaya will help to neutralize the venom of the insect.
- Onion: Cut an onion and rub directly on the sting. Continue rubbing till the itchiness is reduced. Onions contain enzymes that break down the inflammatory compounds from the bite.
- Basil: Take some fresh basil leaves, crush, and apply directly over the bite. Basil leaves contain thymol and camphor which provide relief from itching.
- Cinnamon: Cinnamon has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. Crush some cinnamon and mix with water to make a paste. Apply the paste on the affected area and allow it to remain there for 1 hour.
- Peppermint: Peppermint provides a cooling sensation and temporary relief as it reduces the itching. Place the crushed leaves or apply peppermint oil over the bite and allow it to remain for 15 minutes.
- Toothpaste: Dab some toothpaste on a cotton swab and place over the bite. Menthol and baking soda present in the toothpaste provide relief from itching.
- Aloe Vera: It is a great remedy for insect bites. Aloe vera has antiseptic properties. Apply the gel directly over the bite for instant relief.
- Tea bags: Tea bags contain natural tannin and it helps to squeeze out the toxin from the skin. Place a tea bag on the affected area.