Starfruit is a popular fruit with several health benefits. It is also known as carambola. The fruit packs in lots of vitamins including A, C, and E in addition to being a rich source of potassium, phosphorous, calcium, sodium, folic acid, and fiber. However, the question remains if it is safe to eat starfruit during pregnancy. This exactly is the question this article aims to address.
The most important thing to remember, however, is that you should always seek your doctor’s opinion before including anything in your diet without exceptions. He will be the best person to advise whether it’s safe to include anything in your diet and in what quantity. After all, it is critical to ensure you are eating right during pregnancy. Let’s see some general health benefits and risks associated with starfruit consumption.
Health benefits of starfruit for pregnant women
The following are some health benefits of starfruit for pregnant women.
- Starfruit can potentially help boost immunity which will ensure body can fight infections well.
- The fruit can also provide relief from constipation which is a common problem associated with pregnancy. However, experts recommend always consulting your doctor before attempting to treat any digestive disorder using starfruit.
- Starfruit is extremely rich in antioxidants which means it will help keep cancer at bay.
- With lots of minerals, carbohydrates, and vitamins, starfruit can potentially help promote growth and development of the baby.
- It can also help promote eye health as it is rich in vitamin A.
Health risks associated with starfruit consumption
- While the benefits of starfruit are many, it can also cause serious problems in those with kidney disease.
- Some claim that the fruit provides relief from health problems including headaches and cough but it is best to first consult your doctor when encountering these problems.