Pomegranates are everyone’s favorite fruits indeed. They are juicy and pack in lots of health benefits. However, are they safe for pregnant women? Some experts claim that there is no adequate research to support the benefits of pomegranate during pregnancy. On the other hand, some point out some adverse effects too. It is, therefore, best to consult your doctor who will be the best guide when it comes to recommending if you should be eating pomegranate and in what quantity.
Health benefits of pomegranate during pregnancy
Let’s see some of the potential health benefits of eating pomegranate during pregnancy. We strongly recommend seeking your doctor’s opinion before you consume pomegranate though.
- Pomegranates are rich sources of vitamin C which help the body absorb iron.
- Pomegranates pack in lots of antioxidants which means that they will help fight the damage caused by disease-causing free radicals.
- The fruits also have lots of fiber which helps balance the digestive system and prevent constipation and other problems.
- Pomegranates have lots of potassium which is an essential nutrient. It will also help keep cramps at bay.
- The fruits are also rich sources of folate which is essential for the proper development of baby.
- Pomegranate juice is a great source of vitamin K. The juice can also potentially help reduce the risk of complications during pregnancy.
Health risks associated with pomegranate consumption during pregnancy
The following are some of the health risks that are associated with the consumption of pomegranates during pregnancy.
- Pomegranates might interfere with the functioning of certain medications including those taken for blood thinning or hypertension. Speak with your doctor first before consuming pomegranate.
- Pregnant women should avoid consumption of pomegranate extract since it is made using the rind as well as the fruit. Rind has compounds that can potentially trigger premature contractions.