Summer is the time of the year when the mercury reaches its very peak and the sun blazes heat, pouring it down on us mortals. Babies are no different when it comes to experiencing the problems associated with this season. However, they definitely need much more care and protection from the heat than us adults being more vulnerable to summer ailments. Let us see some very handy tips that will help you take care of your infant well this summer. However, as always, we highly recommend getting in touch with your doctor first before you incorporate any of the following tips into your baby care regime as your doctor will be the best guide!
Summer care tips for infants
- Use light oils such as coconut for massaging your baby’s delicate skin. The oil has a light texture and will quickly get absorbed into the skin. Many recommend against the use of mustard oil during the summer season considering its warming properties which can potentially cause skin irritation and rashes.
- If you are breastfeeding your baby, ensure you feed him/her often to keep the infant hydrated. This is because the scorching summer sun can suck out all water from his/her body through excessive sweating.
- As far as possible, avoid getting yourself and your baby out in the summer sun, particularly during the peak heat hours which usually last between 11 am and 4 pm. If you must head outside, however, cover yourself and your baby well to avoid exposure to the intense heat.
- Protect your baby from sudden temperature changes. Do not suddenly take him/her from a cooled room to a hot place, for instance. It is important to maintain a stable home temperature.
- Ensure that your baby wears loose-fitting clothes that are comfortable. If they must step outside in the sun, ensure their skin is fully covered.
- Never leave your baby unattended in the bathroom, tub or in a pool!