There are a number of reasons why you should incorporate fruits and vegetables in your child’s diet. It is not an easy task to make children eat fruits and veggies. Parents often have a tough time handling their kids especially with the kids who are very choosy about their food. We need to understand that it is a passing phase and it will improve as children grow older. We must not be very hard on kids and try to enjoy their childhood.
Benefits of fruits and vegetables
Here are some reasons why we should incorporate fruits and vegetables in children’s diet.
- They help in growth and development. Vegetables and fruits contain essential vitamins and minerals which are required for a child’s growth. They also contain a lot of fiber which is very important for growth.
- Fruits and vegetables prevent obesity. Obesity has increased in children in the last 30 years. Obesity increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases such as high blood pressure and increased level of cholesterol in the blood.
- Including fruits and vegetables in the child’s diet will minimize the risk of obesity in children.
- The consumption of fruits and vegetables also helps keep the digestive system healthy.
- Children who do not consume fruits and vegetables often suffer from abdominal pain and constipation.
- Children who consume a good amount of fruits and vegetables have reduced constipation and regular bowel movements.
- Fruits and vegetables boost the immunity system as well. Vegetables and fruits are considered to be natural immunity boosters. Research has shown that children who consume fruits and vegetables have a reduced risk of catching infections.
How to make your child eat fruits and vegetables
Replace the regular pizza with whole wheat pizza. Add vegetables into the toppings. Do not make French fries. Instead, opt for sweet potato fries!