Bottle gourd, commonly called lauki, is a very healthy vegetable indeed that is used in a variety of delicacies around the country. But did you know that it is also very healthy for pregnant women? Packed with nutrients, bottle gourd can help strengthen the immune system. However, before making any changes to your diet, it is a great idea to consult your doctor who will be the best guide when it comes to deciding if you should be eating bottle gourd and in what amount.
Health benefits of eating bottle gourd
Here are some health benefits of eating bottle gourd.
- Bottle gourd packs in lots of water and minerals and will thus help you stay hydrated which is of critical importance.
- Bottle gourd is also a rich source of several antioxidants which helps keep the skin healthy.
- Bottle gourd is a great food particularly for breastfeeding mothers as it can help increase milk production and aid in losing weight post delivery.
- Since this vegetable is very rich in fiber, it will keep the digestion processes in order. The vegetable regulates bowel movement and is highly recommended for pregnant women.
- Lauki is also a rich source of iron and vitamin C.
- Bottle gourd packs in lots of potassium and sodium which can help keep fatigue at bay during pregnancy.
- The vegetable is very low in calorie content. What’s more, it can help reduce the effect of several ailments associated with pregnancy.
- Did you know that the bottle gourd contains as much as 96% water? It is a great idea to eat bottle gourd during pregnancy as it will restore water levels in the body, thanks to the high-water content. Furthermore, it will also help keep hunger pangs under control and prevent bingeing on unhealthy foods.
- Since it is alkaline in nature, bottle gourd will help balance acidity which is a common problem associated with pregnancy. It will also help reduce heartburn which many pregnant women experience.