Peas are tiny seeds that hide in the green seed pod. These are indeed superfoods that can be consumed by people of all ages and are especially good for pregnant women. It wouldn’t be wrong to call green peas a real powerhouse of nutrients that does a lot of good to the body! Peas gravy, peas pulao or peas in salad, serve a peas dish from a casserole, and you can be assured you ate a healthy meal for the day.
Expecting mothers need to be aware of all the food that they need to consume. They should avoid coffee and alcohol and also processed and junk food. Here is a superfood that will provide proper nutrition to the expecting mother and the baby: green peas. These are the perfect foods for pregnant women as they get their daily vitamin and protein intake from peas. Peas are very rich in vitamin C, vitamin A, and vitamin B complex, protein, fiber, and magnesium.
Benefits of eating green peas when you’re pregnant
- Peas are rich in folic acid. Folic acid helps in the synthesis of DNA. Therefore, eating peas during pregnancy will help prevent genetic defects in the baby.
- They are healthy for the heart too as they are rich in lycopene, lutein, and fiber.
- Peas are also rich in antioxidants and have lots of minerals like manganese, copper, iron, and zinc. The manganese present in the peas helps to form strong bones while zinc will protect the immune system.
- Peas also contain nutrients that increase the HDL cholesterol in the body and decrease the LDL cholesterol in the body.
- Peas are also very rich in vitamins. Peas are legumes which are very rich in vitamins and prevent diseases that are caused by the deficiency of vitamin B9.
- There are several interesting recipes that make use of green peas. You can make green pea soup too!