Coconut water kefir is a great drink to include in your regular diet. It can help regulate your body and keep you healthy like just about non other. One of its biggest advantages health wise, is that that it is a natural probiotic. Kefir is made from fermented milk which introduces good bacteria to your gut and can keep your digestive system running smoothly. Coconut water also has a significant number of electrolytes which helps your body to retain moisture and stay hydrated. Coconut water and kefir are rich in potassium, magnesium, manganese, vitamin B6, calcium, iron, zinc, and cytokinins (phytohormones that promote healthy cell functionality).
- ¼ cup sugar (optional)
- 4 cups coconut water
- ¼ cup hydrated water kefir grains
- Pour the sugar (if using) into a 1/2 gallon glass jar
- Add the coconut water to the jar.
- Stir well to dissolve the sugar.
- Combine the sweetened coconut water and hydrated kefir grains.
- Cover the jar with either a plastic lid, fermentation cap, or cloth cover secured using a rubber band.
- Let sit in a warm place 70-78°F to ferment for a 24-48 hour period.
Note: If the sugar is omitted, taste it after 24 hours. If using the sugar – allow for 48 hours. The mixture should taste like tangy coconut water.
- Strain out the kefir grains using a non-metal strainer or cheesecloth. The grains can be used to begin another batch of coconut water kefir or water immediately.
- Once the grains are removed, you may add flavors for a second fermentation or drink plain.
- Store in the refrigerator and enjoy while it is chilled!