Poha is a delicious snack that adorns breakfast menus across the country. It is delicious and extremely healthy too! However, should pregnant women eat poha? Yes, absolutely! Not only is poha a great snack for expecting mothers, but it is also easily digested. Poha is indeed a boon for pregnant women who experience nausea and vomiting.
Tips for pregnant women
- There are three main varieties of poha: white, red, and brown. It is recommended to eat red or brown poha instead of white poha even though these varieties take longer to cook. This is because red and brown poha have more fiber content. They are also richer in antioxidants and nutrients.
- Eating poha during pregnancy is a great idea as the food helps regulate blood sugar as well.
- Poha will not cause acidity and is very easily digested. This makes it ideal for pregnant women who suffer from heartburn.
- Poha also has a low-calorie content and will not lead to extra weight gain.
- Poha is rich in iron and will help keep anemia at bay.
What’s more, poha can be used to make several delicacies. You can never really get bored with the good old poha!
- Soak about 1 cup of poha for 15 minutes, drain, and set aside. Heat nearly 1 tbsp of oil in a pan and add 1 tsp each of cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and urad dal. Introduce one chopped green chili and add in 1 cubed pieces of a boiled potato. Sauté them well till the potato cubes acquire a brown color at which point add the poha, salt, and turmeric. Turn the flame off and add the fresh juice of 1 lemon. Stir well and serve. There you have your lemon poha!
- To make some dahi poha, soak 1 cup poha for about 15 minutes and allow it to become tender. Add grated ginger, green chili paste, 1 cup curd, and salt. Allow it to rest for 5 minutes and serve at room temperature.