Vitamin D is a very powerful vitamin and is often called the ‘sunshine vitamin’. This is because the vitamin is produced in the skin when exposed to sunlight. The vitamin belongs to a family of compounds that also includes vitamins D-1, 2, and 3.
Health benefits of vitamin D
The following are some health benefits of vitamin D and the ailments that can result from its deficiency.
- Vitamin D is obtained in response to sunlight and is also present in some foods. One of the most important functions of vitamin D is to help in the absorption of calcium in the body.
- The deficiency of vitamin D in the body could lead to osteoporosis later.
- The deficiency of vitamin D can also increase the risk of type-1 diabetes and also the cancers of breast, ovaries, and prostate.
- You should include vitamin D in your diet to reduce the chances of heart attacks, multiple sclerosis, and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Vitamin D can also help regulate mood and helps reduce depression.
- It can also help promote weight loss.
- Vitamin D can also help maintain healthy teeth.
- It is great when it comes to improving brain health and immune system function.
- It also helps regulate the levels of insulin in the body.
- Children can suffer from rickets on account of vitamin D deficiency.
- The risk of influenza is also reduced in children during the winter months if they have been eating vitamin-D rich foods.
- Vitamin D deficiency also increases the risk of autism and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Vitamin D supplements are also available but it is best if it is obtained naturally. You should never take vitamin supplements unless prescribed by your doctor.