It is a good idea to drink and eat something within an hour of your workout to get the maximum benefits. When you work out, the process of weightlifting will have done some damages on the muscle fibers. You need to repair the muscles after your workout. Proteins are essential for muscle growth so it is necessary that you consume a protein-rich diet to make for the muscle damage. This will help the body recover and get back on track quickly.
Foods you should eat for muscle growth and recovery
- Whole eggs can be consumed as they are rich sources of proteins. Egg white contains a lot of protein and should be consumed after exercise. Protein, it must be remembered, is the driving force behind muscle growth.
- Smoked salmon is also a great idea. The omega-3 fatty acids present in fish will help to reduce muscle soreness after exercise. Cottage cheese is another great food that can help. Cottage cheese contains a lot of proteins and is very helpful in maintaining muscles after a workout.
- Almonds are plant-based foods that are full of protein. Almonds also contain monounsaturated fats and magnesium. Magnesium is known to play a crucial role in proteins synthesis. Hence it is recommended to have almonds post workout.
- Beans are great foods too tasting great when served fresh and warm from a casserole and pack in lots of fiber. Beans, with a high-protein content, will help build muscles providing you with enough energy without raising blood sugar levels.
- Bananas are amazing fruits too, for they have lots of potassium that will prevent muscle cramping when you exercise and are also laden with glucose. They will quickly provide you with lots of energy. Bananas have a low glycemic index so the carbohydrates they pack in are slowly released.