Urinary tract infections are caused by bacteria and can affect the bladder and the kidneys. It is one of the commonest types of infections. Women have a greater risk of developing urinary tract infections in comparison to men. The common symptoms are a frequent urge to urinate, a burning sensation, and a painful burning sensation while urinating.
Urinary tract infections can be very painful. While you should certainly consult your doctor first rather than attempting to treat yourself, here are some home remedies that can offer relief from the symptoms associated with urinary tract infections.
Home remedies to treat urinary tract infections
- Avoid the intake of alcohol and caffeine.
- Always wear cotton clothes that are loose-fitting.
- Cranberry extracts are known to provide comfort from urinary tract infections.
- Drink lots of water as it will help eliminate and flush out the bacteria and toxins from the body.
- Consume probiotic foods such as yogurts. Probiotics are known to increase immunity and overall health.
- Urinate frequently. Do not hold urine for long periods of time.
- Add vitamin C to your diet as it will help reduce the growth of bacteria in the urinary tract.
- Heating pads can reduce the pain caused by a urinary tract infection. Don’t apply it directly to the skin. You should also keep the heat setting low.
- Do not consume very spicy food. Add high-fiber foods to your diet. These include oatmeal and lentil soups.
- Garlic extract has anti-microbial properties and is also known to inhibit the growth of bacteria that cause urinary tract infections.
- Bearberry is also known to reduce the occurrence of urinary tract infections.
- Quit smoking. Use fragrance-free products for personal hygiene.
- Always wipe yourself clean from front to back and not vice versa.
- Diabetes can also result in urinary tract infections.