Bruises are a common occurrence during a child’s growing years. When children learn to walk, they will experience bruises when they fall or tumble. If you cannot reach your doctor immediately for medication, here are some methods and home remedies that you can use in the case of an emergency. However, it is advised to first consult your doctor before using any of the below-mentioned remedies. Remember, your doctor will be the best person to advise!
Home remedies for Bruises
- Apple cider vinegar: Apple cider vinegar has anti-inflammatory properties and can reduce pain, inflammation, and swelling. Take an equal amount of water and apple cider vinegar in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Take a paper towel and soak it in the solution to use as a compress. This will help to reduce the swelling. If the skin is broken or cracked, do not use the method.
- Parsley leaves: These are very helpful in reducing pain and inflammation. Wash a handful of parsley leaves and make a paste in a mixer. Apply it all over the bruised area and cover with a bandage. Allow it to remain for 10 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
- Fenugreek seeds: Fenugreek seeds have anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties and help to reduce swelling and pain. In one cup of water add a handful of fenugreek seeds. Bring the water to a boil and continue to heat for a few minutes on a low flame. Strain and allow the solution to cool. With the help of a cotton ball, apply this solution over the bruise and let it to dry.
- Papaya is very helpful in the treatment of damaged blood vessels. It contains the enzyme bromelain which helps in healing the damaged vessels. Take a papaya and cut a thin slice and put it over the bruise. Keep it there for almost an hour. Rinse with warm water.
- Essential oils: A few drops of essential oil (either lavender or tea tree) can be massaged on the bruise. You can use one type of essential oil or blend both in equal quantities. Do not forget to add any carrier oil before applying on the skin. This will help prevent skin irritation. Lavender oil has analgesic and healing properties while tea tree oil speeds up the process of healing.