Swelling, referred to as Edema by doctors, occurs when fluids are accumulated in the lower legs, ankles, and feet. Swelling can often be the result of travel or surgery. Pregnant women might find the condition inevitable.
If you notice swollen feet and ankles, you might try the remedies given below. However, remember to consult your doctor first who will be the best judge on this matter.
Remedies to get rid of swollen feet and ankles
- Elevation: You can elevate your legs up to treat the swelling. Sit while raising the feet against the wall.
- Yoga: Yoga and exercise can be very fruitful and can help treat swollen feet. Remember to move your knees and avoid standing for too long.
- Standing or sitting for too long can worsen the problem.
- Swimming is a great remedy to treat swollen legs. It will also help soothe the skin.
- Weight loss: You should consider losing some weight as this will help reducing swelling in the feet and ankles as well.
- Add some Epsom salt to water and soak your feet and ankles for around 15-20 minutes. This can help relieve the pain caused by swelling.
- Walk some distance every day.
- Remember to drink 8-10 glasses of water every day. Drinking ample amount of water keeps the body hydrated and also helps reduce swelling in the feet and the ankles.
- You should try reducing your salt intake.
- Swollen feet and ankles can also be the result of ill-fitting shoes or certain underlying medical conditions. The swelling might also be on account of lifestyle factors.
- Buy compression socks. These come in a variety of weights and compressions. Choose the one you are most comfortable with. You’ll find them at your grocery or medical store.
- Magnesium-rich foods such as spinach, broccoli, almonds, dark chocolate, and cashews should be included in the diet.