Dry mouth is also called Xerostomia in medical terms. It is important to first ascertain the cause of a dry mouth before its treatment. It is often caused when the salivary glands do not produce enough saliva which causes hyposalivation or dry mouth.
Here are some remedies to heal a dry mouth. However, remember to consult your doctor first.
Healing A Dry Mouth
- Chewing sugar-free gum is a great way to get rid of a dry mouth. This is because it stimulates the salivary glands.
- It is also important to limit the consumption of caffeine. This is because caffeine can worsen the problem of dry mouth.
- You should stop the consumption of tobacco since it is a major reason behind dry mouth. Stop smoking and chewing tobacco at once. Consult your doctor who will be the best person to advise.
- The best way to treat the situation is to regularly sip water which is a great remedy to treat the dry mouth condition.
- Try a mouthwash designed for a dry mouth. Ensure that the mouthwash you use does not contain alcohol as it can cause dryness.
- Breathe through your nose—we often breathe through our mouths which causes it to go dry.
- Acidic foods and drinks are best avoided since they can cause both tooth decay as well as dryness in the mouth.
- Improving your oral health will also help you get rid of the problem of dry mouth. It is also recommended to visit your dentist often.
- Brush using a fluoride toothpaste.
- Aloe vera makes a great herbal remedy. It has moisturizing properties. Consider using aloe vera juice and gel.
- Ginger is also known to increase saliva production.
- You might also consider adding some moisture to your environment. Use a humidifier which can also help the situation.