The harmful ultraviolet rays from the sun cause numerous problems such as sunburn which is most common during the summer months. The symptoms of sunburn include itching, skin irritation, and reddening of the skin. Severe symptoms include fever, dehydration, swelling, and peeling of the skin. We highly recommend consulting your doctor if any of these symptoms appear. Here are some home remedies which, if followed, will help you to get relief from sunburn.
Home remedies for sunburn
- Coconut oil is a wonder oil and is a healing oil. It provides relief from the pain that is caused by sunburn. Coconut oil repairs the cracks and rejuvenates the skin. Premature aging of the skin caused by sunburn can also be cured by the use of coconut oil. Coconut oil is extremely rich in vitamin D and E. Vitamin D and E also work wonders for the skin.
- Ice bag: An ice bag when kept on the sunburnt area will provide relief from the burning sensation. It will absorb the heat and cool the dry skin.
- Sandalwood provides relief from itching and softens the skin. Mix sandalwood with ice cold water and apply to the sunburnt area. The anti-aging properties will also help to reduce wrinkles which are caused by the sun rays.
- Neem oil is also known to provide relief on the sunburnt area. People who have a tendency of developing sunburns should use neem oil regularly.
- If the skin is sunburnt, you should avoid the use of perfumes or soap as they make the skin dry.
- Cucumbers are also full of antioxidants and have pain-relieving properties. Chilled cucumbers can be mashed and this paste, when applied to the sunburnt area, will provide relief from the sunburn.
- You are also advised to not take any medicine and consult your doctor. Milk and yogurt are known to treat sunburnt skin. They have a soothing effect on the sunburnt skin.