Lemon balm is a herb scented like lemon and belongs to the same family as that of mint. The herb is found in West Asia, Europe, and North Africa. Lemon balm has been used to improve the functions of the brain and can also boost our mood. Here are some benefits of lemon balm.
Benefits of lemon balm
- Lemon balm helps to reduce anxiety. The symptoms of anxiety include nervousness and getting excited. Research has shown that lemon balm can help reduce anxiety and has a positive effect on the mood.
- Lemon balm can also help to treat insomnia. Research has shown that lemon balm can provide relief from restlessness and sleep disorders such as insomnia. Drinking a cup of tea that is brewed with lemon balm before going to bed will provide a good night’s sleep.
- It helps to treat cold sores. Applying lemon balm on the affected area three or four times a day will provide relief. Apply lemon balm cream on the affected area. Before application, make sure that you do a patch test to ensure that you are not allergic to the cream.
- Lemon balm helps to relieve indigestion. People who suffer from frequent abdominal discomfort and pain can get relief by using lemon balm.
- Helps in treating nausea. It is found to be useful in treating gastrointestinal symptoms such as nausea. However, further research is still needed in this regard.
- Drinking a cup of lemon balm tea will help to provide relief from the feeling of nausea.
- It helps to minimize menstrual cramps. Lemon balm provides relief from premenstrual syndrome and menstrual cramps.
- It is also known to treat headaches. If you experience a headache that is the result of stress, lemon balm could be very useful in providing relaxation. It helps to release tension, relaxing the muscles.