ADHD is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. In the recent decade, the production of medications that are used to treat ADHD has increased. Research has shown that ADHD in children has increased by approximately 41%. If you do not wish to treat the disorder with drugs, here are some natural remedies. However, we strongly recommend that you consult your doctor before starting the treatment for ADHD yourself. Your doctor will be the best judge and his advise must be heeded.
Herbal remedies for ADHD
- Avoid certain food colorings and preservatives. Studies have shown that there are some preservatives and food colorings that increase hyperactive behavior in children. It is best to avoid foods with such colorings and preservatives. These are sodium benzoate. It is found in salad dressings, fruit juices, and carbonated beverages.
- Studies have shown that practicing yoga can help people who suffer from ADHD. It is known to provide relief from anxiety and hyperactivity.
- Spending time outside: Spending time outside helps children who suffer from ADHD. Regular exposure to the outdoors and green spaces is known to have its benefits. It is strongly recommended to spend at least 20 minutes outdoors. This will help to improve concentration. This is a natural treatment that can be used to help people who suffer from ADHD.
- Consider a tai chi class. Research has shown that tai chi helps to reduce the symptoms of ADHD. Teenagers who practice tai chi are found to be less anxious and hyperactive in comparison to their peers who suffered from ADHD and did not practice tai chi. They also daydream lesser.
- Avoid allergens. Processed foods such as potato chips, chewing gum, and dry cake mixes contain preservatives which are known to increase ADHD.
- It is better to avoid foods that contain butylated hydroxytoluene and butylated hydroxyanisole.