Essential oils are extracted from plants and are known for their natural qualities. Essential oils are generally used in aromatherapy. In this practice, you inhale oils to stimulate the body and you can also apply diluted oils on the body. Essential oils are known to provide relief from cough. Here are some essential oils that are useful in the treatment of cough.
Essential oils for cough
- Eucalyptus oil: It has the ability to treat respiratory ailments such as bronchitis and pharyngitis. Research is being done on the use of eucalyptus oil as an anti-TB drug. Eucalyptus oil relieves congestion and is also used in cough drops and vapor rubs. Massaging vapor rub during night time is known to clear cough and congestion.
- Cinnamon oil: Cinnamon oil is known to prevent bacteria from reproduction and is used to treat respiratory diseases. Inhaling a few drops of cinnamon oil that are added to a steaming bowl of water can help to prevent congestion.
- Nutmeg essential oil: The nutmeg essential oil is known to have a compound called camphene which is quite similar to camphor. Camphene has a distinctive cooling effect when inhaled. The oil also has powerful antioxidant properties which keep infections at bay.
- Rosemary essential oil: Rosemary essential oil is one of the most powerful essential oils and is known to have compounds that can potentially break mucus.
- Thyme essential oil: Thyme is known to treat respiratory conditions and is used as an anti-microbial agent.
- Geranium essential oil: Geranium has a great scent. Put geranium oil in the bath— this will provide relief from cough. Geranium is also known to treat infections that occur in the upper respiratory tract.
- Cypress essential oil: Cypress, when inhaled, is known to reduce congestion in the respiratory tract. Add a few drops of cypress oil in a bowl that is filled with warm water and inhale. This will help to ease congestion.