Cancer is a cluster of 100 various diseases. It is the uncontrolled growth and development of abnormal cells in the body. Cancer begins developing when the body’s standard mechanism ceases working. The old cells do not dwindle but rather grow out of control, forming these abnormal, new cells, these cells form a mass called “Tumors”. However, there are cancers like leukemia which do not form tumors.
Cancers are divided into categories depending on where they begin. These categories are:
- Carcinomas – A carcinoma kind of cancer begins in the tissue or the skin that covers the entire surface area of the glands and organs. Carcinomas generally form solid tumors and are the most common kind of cancers. For example, colorectal cancer, lung cancer, breast cancer, and prostate cancer.
- Sarcomas – A sarcoma cancer turns up in the tissues that connect and support the body. It can develop and spread in muscles, fat, tendons, nerves, blood vessels, joints, cartilage, lymph vessels, or bone.
- Leukemias – Leukemia is the presence of cancer in the blood. Leukemia sets in motion when healthy blood cells grow and change unstoppably, and they are also uncontrollable. The four main types of leukemia are chronic myeloid leukemia, acute myeloid leukemia, chronic lymphocytic leukemia, and acute lymphocytic leukemia.
- Lymphomas – Lymphoma is cancer that starts in the lymphatic system. The lymphatic system is known as a network of glands and vessels, the aid fight against infection. For example, two main kinds of lymphomas are Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin lymphoma.
According to the research, simple lifestyle changes like following a healthy diet will result in a speedy recovery for cancer patients. Developing evidence attributes to specific dietary habits decreasing or increasing cancer recovery. Nutrition is also considered to play an important role in coping and treating cancer.
Radiation, Chemotherapy, and other treatments can be difficult on the body. The body undergoes major processes that include losing healthy cells. Hence, choosing and consuming a healthy diet can result in a quick recovery. There is no superfood or miracle food to prevent or help in recovery from cancer. However, consuming certain foods in a regular amount of time can do wonders.
Below is a list of nutrient rich foods that can help you feel better when you are fighting cancer –
- Vegetables – Most vegetables are rich in antioxidants and phytochemicals. Studies have proved that consumption of vegetables leads to quicker cancer recovery and helps in prevention too. For example, cabbage, cauliflower, and broccoli contain sulforaphane. These substances are shown to decrease tumor size by 50%. Vegetables like carrots and tomatoes are linked to a decreased risk of lung, stomach and prostate cancer.
- Fruits – Similar to vegetables, fruits contain phytochemicals and antioxidants that help in recovering from cancer. A review discovered that consuming at least 3 servings per week could reduce stomach cancer risk by 28%.
- Flaxseeds – Flaxseeds might act as a protective barrier against certain cancers and might even decrease the spread of cancer cells. A study found that men consuming 30 grams of ground flaxseed regularly showed a decrement in cancer cell growth.
- Spices – According to the studies conducted on animals and test-tube, it is revealed that cinnamon contains anti-cancer properties. It can prevent cancer cells from escalating. Also, curcumin, found in turmeric, can help fight cancer.
- Beans and Legumes – Legumes and beans are high in fiber and studies indicate that this particular nutrient could protect the body against colorectal cancer. In a study with over 3,500 people, it was found that consumption of legumes lowered the risk of certain types of cancer by 50%.
- Fish – Eating fresh fish regularly could help protect against cancer. Fish contains fatty acids that reduce inflammation. A study found that consuming fish brought down the risk of colorectal cancer by 12%.
- Dairy Products – It depends on the kind of dairy products being consumed. For example, moderate consumption of high-quality dairy products like raw milk, milk from grass-fed cows, and fermented milk products could have a protective effect. However, please note that higher consumption of processed dairy products could lead to a risk of cancer.
Foods to avoid:
- Sugar and refined carbs – Sugar and refined carbs spikes the glucose level and has been linked to delaying cancer recovery because insulin spreads cancer cells and stimulates cell division.
- Processed meat – IARC; The International Agency for Research on Cancer has reckoned processed meat as a carcinogen (a cancer-causing substance). Choosing fresh lean meat over red meat and processed meats is a healthier option.
- Overcooked food – Overcooked foods can agitate the already weakened digestive system, sticking to simple cooked foods is better.
The absence of a diet is common during cancer recovery. However, sticking to certain diet plans can help the cancer patient the required nutrition. Making foods look appealing, keeping favorite foods nearby, eating small meals throughout the day, choosing nutrient-rich, high-calorie food like nuts, avocado, and puddings, etc. can help with lack-of-appetite issues. You cannot find miracle foods to entirely prevent or cure cancer. However, a healthy, balanced diet and lifestyle can result in prevention and cure