Essential oils are extracted from the flowers, leaves, stems, and barks of plants through water distillation. Essential oils protect the plant from fungi, bacteria, and predators. They are also known to attract insects for pollination. In human beings, essential oils are known to speed up the process of healing and help to reduce inflammation. Sore throat is a condition in which it becomes difficult to swallow and is usually very painful. It is typically caused by a viral infection. It could be the result of cold, flu or bacterial infection.
Essential oils have been found to help with a sore throat. They can be inhaled or diluted in other oils and applied to the skin. When they are diluted with other oils, they can be added to the bath. The ingestion of essential oils is strictly prohibited as they are extremely toxic. Here are some essential oils that can be used to treat a sore throat.
Essential oils for sore throat
- Lavender oil: It has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial properties. It is known to provide relief from sore throat.
- Thyme oil: Thyme is also known to reduce muscle spasms as a result of which it prevents coughing which, in turn, helps to cure a sore throat.
- Eucalyptus oil: Eucalyptus oil has antiseptic properties and can treat coughs, cold, and sore throat. Eucalyptus oil has anti-bacterial properties.
- Lemon essential oil: It has strong anti-bacterial effects and is used to treat sore throat.
- Ginger essential oil: It is used as a natural remedy for treating common cold. It has anti-inflammatory properties which help to provide relief from throat pain.
- Peppermint essential oil: Peppermint essential oil has anti-bacterial properties and helps to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Garlic essential oil: It has anti-fungal and anti-viral properties. A sore throat that is caused by viruses can be treated with garlic essential oil.