Paleo diet is one of the most popular diets at the moment. It is designed to mimic the diet of early humans, when they were primarily a hunter gather society. It is impossible to say exactly what that diet entailed – there is a lot of conjecture. But it is primarily centered around eating whole foods, being active, eating mostly animal products, and a low amount of carbs. The diet is high in protein and healthy fats, while being low in bread and grain products; it also has absolutely no processed foods.
A quick rundown of the basics includes:
Eat: meat, eggs, fish, vegetables, nuts, fruits, seeds, spices, healthy fats, herbs, and oils.
Avoid: Processed foods, soft drinks sugar, majority of dairy products, artificial sweeteners, legumes, margarine and trans fats, vegetable oils.
Foods to Definitely Avoid on the Paleo Diet
- Sugar and high-fructose corn syrup : pre packaged fruit juices, soft drinks (You can instead have freshly squeezed juices and carry them in an insulated water bottle), table sugar, pastries, candy, ice cream, etc.
- Grains:wheat, rye, breads, pastas, spelt, barley, rice, etc.
- Legumes:beans, lentils and many more.
- Dairy:avoid low fat dairy products – whole dairy products are fine.
- Some vegetable oils:grapeseed oil, safflower oil, soybean oil, sunflower oil, cottonseed oil, corn oil.
- Trans fats: known as “hydrogenated” or “partially hydrogenated” oils, and normally found in processed foods like margarine.
- Artificial sweeteners:acesulfame potassium, sucralose, aspartame, cyclamates, saccharin. Use natural sweeteners like honey instead.
- Highly processed foods:If it comes in a can or a pouch where it needs some kind of preservative, you should avoid it.
Foods to Eat on the Paleo Diet
- Meat: poultry, lamb, beef, fowl.
- Fish and seafood: freshly caught fatty fish like, salmon, mackerel, tuna, etc.
- Eggs: free-range, pastured or omega-3 rich eggs.
- Vegetables: tomatoes, spinach, broccoli, kale, peppers, carrots, onions, etc.
- Fruits: blueberries, apples, strawberries, bananas, oranges, pears, avocados, etc.
- Tubers: truffles, potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes, turnips, etc.
- Nuts and seeds: macadamia nuts, almonds, Brazil nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds etc.
- Healthy fats and oils: avocado oil, extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, etc.
- Salt and spices: sea salt, rosemary, thyme, garlic, turmeric, etc.