The year 2020 has brought a lot of things into perspective, and health is one of them. The importance of health and immunity is undeniably the foremost concern right now. If you are someone who was too caught up with the hustles of family, career, and responsibilities and never found the time for fitness, now is the time to catch up on some, as they say, better late than never.
With no gym equipment at home, and no parks open for jogging, fitness to an extent did come to a halt, didn’t it? If you are active on social media, you would have seen a lot of people keeping up with their fitness right at home. Did you ever wonder how?
Working out at home is arguably the most convenient and uncomplicated way to achieve those fitness goals you’ve been writing in your diary or journal. The belief that you need the many fancy equipment to work out or Zumba or aerobics sessions in a studio to get into the fitness groove is a myth! Your home is the best place to start working out until you feel it’s safe to go back to the gym, running or your fitness studios! All you need are a few accessories, and you’re good to get a start on working out from home!
Here are 11 perfect fitness accessories to make your home workouts fun and fabulous-
A yoga mat is an essential accessory you will need if you are planning on a home workout. Contrary to its name, the mat is not just limited to yoga. You can use it for all your workouts, especially planks, push-ups, crunches, etc. But if you are a yoga person, then this mat is the first thing you need to buy. It is easy to put away, and you can easily carry it with you to your terrace, a friend’s place or anywhere else. You can order it online or head to any sports store to buy it. Not juts cushioning, but they come in a lot of classy colors that you can choose from! While you choose a yoga mat, here are a few pointers to consider –
- Thickness and cushioning – The mats come in different thickness, ¼-inch, 1/8-inch and so on. You might have to choose one that will best suit your need, thickness also helps in friction not letting the mat slip.
- Grips – It is important that the mat doesn’t move while you are working out!
- Weight – If you are looking at taking your mat with you to different areas of the house, or somewhere outside, you need to consider a light mat.
2.Insulated Water Bottle
How is a workout ever complete without the replenishment of fluids? Good hydration implies getting the right amount of fluids before, during, and after every workout. Due to constant sweating, your body can easily become dehydrated. Fluids regulate the body temperature and lubricate your joints. An insulated flask is the perfect accessory to get the right fluids in your body, and if it comes with a wide mouth so you can use your blender, then nothing like it! Smoothies, protein shakes, or fruit juices, an insulated flask is great for all of these and more.
If you are not hydrated, your body cannot perform at its best level. Start your day with some fluids and sip on an energizing drink when you take breaks while working out to feel refreshed! Here are a few features that you can look at while choosing an insulated water bottle –
- BPA Free and stainless-steel – A stainless-steel insulated water bottle is safe, and also easy to use and clean
- Double walled insulation – An insulated flask will keep your hot beverages hot and cold ones cold for a few hours straight. In the market there are insulated bottles available that help keep beverages hot or cold for more than 12 hours. Along with that, a double walled insulated flask makes holding a scorching hot beverage or ice-cold drink easier. You won’t burn your fingers while holding your hot fruit-infused water and there won’t be any condensation on the outside when you store a cold protein shake!
- Sipper lid – Sipper water bottles make a great workout accessory. They make sipping your drinks easier, you don’t have to bother unscrewing the cap to chug your drink and then screw the lid back on. If your insulated water bottle comes with a sipper lid, then it definitely will make for the best gym water bottle.
3.Bluetooth Headsets or Speaker
Exercises and workouts are incomplete without music. Music works as a motivation, and the rhythm and beats n certain tracks can make you want to push harder. Whether you like to fill the room with music or like your ears blasting (avoid the word “blasting”) with some beats, you can choose your favorite device and get going! There are plenty of options to choose from when it comes to headsets or speakers. According to research, music can aid in improving the quality of your workout by putting you in a good mood and increasing your stamina as well.
So, get the music started and work on those abs you’ve been dreaming about!
A balancing ball is a perfect tool for building coordination, balance, stability, and core strength. There are plenty of exercises and workouts that can be done with the ball. It is also called an exercise ball or yoga ball. A lot of yoga exercises include this balancing ball, and the end result is amazing. You can buy the ball according to your height as it comes in different diameters.
With the ball, the core body muscles are stimulated as a result of which your movement control, posture, and balance improve immensely. Invest in the right balancing ball, and you will not regret it. You can subscribe to one of the fitness channels online and start improving your balance from the comfort of your home!
Jumping rope is a perfect accessory for a good deal of cardio at home. 10 minutes of skipping is equivalent to 30 minutes of jogging, and it burns an excessive number of calories!
The rope can also be combined with other burnout exercises for better results. Exercises like burnout of squats, burnout of bicycle kicks, and burnout of push-ups can be mixed with two minutes of rope jumping. Professional trainers also recommend this form of rope jumping for advanced fitness goals.
All you need is a jumping rope and you can start working out right from the comfort of your home!
Your fitness routine needs workout clothes, just like the gym does. Wearing home clothes and working out can be uncomfortable. On the other hand, your workout clothes give you the right feel you need for getting through 30 minutes of vigorous workout. Made of breathable and moisture-wicking fabrics, workout clothes help you remain dry and cool during your workout. Choosing the right workout gear that is durable means saving money from spending again and again. Invest in a workout gear, one that will motivate you to spend an extra few minutes on working out, workout gears are designed to give you the extra comfort and ease of movement!
7.Socks and Shoes
It is possible that home workouts might not give you the feel of a gym, and you might end up working out on bare feet. It is never a good idea! Your socks and shoes give you the right grip on the floor, which is essential for all your workouts. Your shoes also improve your performance. For example, wearing shoes makes it easy for quick direction changes. They also cushion your impact when you are doing exercise that involves jumping or heavy landing. Get a nice pair of socks and shoes, tie those laces and jump into the workout battlefield right away!
Dumbbells are a must-have if your fitness goals involve muscle toning and mass-building. The free weights come in various weights, and buying according to your need and advancement in fitness is important. Dumbbells are also great for combining with different exercises for better results. They are good at benefiting cardiorespiratory flexibility and fitness. They also create both intra and intermuscular coordination, which in turn leads to muscle activation.
Invest in a few different weights of dumbbells, and you will love the outcome they provide! They are easy to store and easy to use. You can also lookup some exercises involving dumbbells to understand better what your fitness regime should involve.
Here are a few pointers that will help you choose your dumbbells –
- Non-slip finish – Choose a finish that is comfortable, easy-to-hold, like neoprene, if you are beginning with dumbbells.
- End shapes – Although dumbbells with round end shape are common, they might roll away if not placed carefully at home gyms. Dumbbells with hexagonal end shapes won’t roll and will stay in place.
Why resistance bands? Resistance bands are a great way of getting a full-body workout without even having to touch a dumbbell. The possibilities of a workout are endless with a resistance band. It is a perfect tool for building lower and upper body strength. A resistance band set come with 3 bands, each with varying tension; you can change bands as your strength levels up.
They hardly occupy any space, making them an ideal accessory for indoor workouts. These bands are available at the sports store and online too! Go ahead and get these bands home and work on those strength goals! Here are a few pointers that might help you in choosing the best resistance bands to get you started –
- Level of resistance – The bands come in denote the different resistance levels – light, medium and heavy. While light is perfect for injured and starters, medium is great for strength training. Heavy tension works well for experienced enthusiasts.
Missing your aerobics classes? Well, you don’t have to! Aerobics step is an excellent tool for high-intensity cardio workout without adding stress on your joints. They are ideal for improving the overall fitness by boosting cardiovascular health, reducing fat and building strength. The best part? They are low-impact. This means that your joints won’t take a hard hit, no matter how long you work out on this tool. It is ideal for people with bone and joint issues. Burning calories are also easy with this accessory, and you’ll love the decision to have bought this workout tool if you are looking for a quick cardio workout at home!
There are a lot of exercises that can be done with step aerobics, and you can find plenty of them online. Put on some peppy music and get the aerobics done! Here are a few points you can look up before you choose your aerobics steps –
- Non-slip surface – Look for this feature, especially if you are quite new to practicing on a step.
- Adjustable Height Levels – Choose the ones which can be adjusted up to three height levels, so you can continue increasing or decreasing the intensity of your exercises.
So, now that you have a fair idea of all the workout tools that will make your workouts at home convenient, here a tool you should know that will prevent injury. A foam roller increases mobility and flexibility, helps break down lactic acid, and helps you recover faster from injuries. With it, you can get back to your workout faster, as it also aids in reducing muscle soreness. Perfect for fitness freaks who do heavy workouts, it is also an effective tool to add to your cooldown or warmup time before or after a workout.
Foam roller is an all-rounder as it is great for yoga, Pilates, runners, gym, etc. They are lightweight and easy to carry and easy to store too! Here are a few points you need to consider before getting your own foam roller –
- Foam density – Rollers are available in three different densities – soft, standard and firm. You can choose the one that will best suit your routine.
- Shape and Size – Yes, foam rollers come in different shapes and sizes. There are short ones, standard length ones and ones with bumps and ridges too. Again, choose one that will suit your routine.
With the routines that hectic life brings along, fitness and health can easily take a backseat until you become old or a pandemic like the COVID-19 hits. The pandemic and lockdown have made most people re-evaluate their priorities, and being fit and healthy tops the list now! People have started looking for different ways to build immunity and practice fitness at home. Immunity can only be built through a good diet and exercise. While following up on the former is relatively simpler when you are at home, the latter however, has proved to be challenging for many.
Setting up a small home gym solves this issue. It is not hard, especially when you have all the right accessories and equipment. Whether the necessity of a home gym is because of the hefty membership fee gyms charge or because of your schedule or because of the pandemic that has made a way into everyone’s lives, every reason is a one! Invest in the gym equipment mentioned above, all these occupy very little space and are worth the investment, as these can be used for years!
Open your shopping apps and start ordering! It is time for you and your family to get started on the fitness goals and what better time to start than now?