Healthy Snack Ideas for a Day Trip in Summer
Summer is the perfect time to plan day trips, road trips, and camping trips. But when you travel places, you need to be prepared with healthy snacks in insulated food jars to enjoy whenever you get hungry. If you are not prepared enough, it’s all too easy to grab some unhealthy snacks such as a chocolate bar or another fatty food at the rest shop. It is extremely imperative to keep something healthy close at hand when you are traveling with kids.
Whether you have planned a day trip or a tour for extended days and also packed your fancy outfits but what about those cravings while you are traveling. After all, you wouldn’t stay hungry while wandering and enjoying beautiful destinations. Your snacking experience must be as specific as your outfits.
We’ve put together a list of healthy snacks that you can carry in stainless steel food jars or containers for a day trip in summer. With this list, you can keep your commitment to living a healthier lifestyle and still enjoy the beautiful outdoors. Check this out…
1. Spiced Peanuts: There’s nothing better than protein-rich peanuts toasted with spices and roasted as per your taste. Peanuts make a healthy long-lasting portable snack and extremely simple to make at home using just a few ingredients. You can store them in an insulated food container or air-tight jar and take them with you anywhere.
2. Banana Muffins: Bananas are everyone’s favorite and there’s nothing better than low-fat banana muffins. These muffins are high in stress-reducing potassium and you can make them easily at home. This not only makes a great snack for a road trip but also a wonderful after-school snack. You can also add the ingredients of your choice such as raisins, etc.
3. Roasted Chickpeas: Oven-roasted chickpeas are high-protein snacks that you can take along wherever you travel. This is a great snack idea for those who are looking for something gluten-free and highly nutritious. You can add some green veggies of your choice and Parmesan cheese to this take-along, simple, and fast snack.
4. Granola Bars: There’s nothing better than low-calorie homemade granola bars that you can carry with you anywhere you travel and munch anytime you want. The homemade granola bars are a healthy alternative to store-bought ones. You can use the ingredients like dried fruits, oats, sliced almonds, pure maple syrup, etc, and store them in an airtight food container.
5. Honey-Almond Biscotti: A crispy Italian cookie, Biscotti makes a great travel snack and can be enjoyed with tea or coffee. If you are looking for something healthy and nutritious, you can try vegan honey almond biscotti. You can also use agave nectar instead of the usual refined sugar, bake up a batch, and store it in a stainless steel food jar.
6. Tortilla Roll-Ups: When you want to carry along something healthy yet delicious while you travel, tortilla roll-ups are a great option. Fill these tortillas with a mixture of sour cream, cream cheese, green chiles, cheddar cheese, and chopped vegetables. Add spices as per your taste before rolling up the wraps and carry them along in an airtight food container.
7. Homemade Popcorns: Popcorns are everyone’s favorite and you can easily buy the pre-packed ones from stores but they aren’t that healthy as the homemade ones. You can easily make cheese popcorns at home and take them along with you while you explore different destinations. You can use real cheese for a savory taste and carry it in a food jar or containers.
8. Dried Mango or Apples: Fruits are something that can be enjoyed in many ways and if you want to try something innovative, you can make dried mangoes or oven-dried apple chips. These are tasty and healthy snacks and can easily be prepared at home. This makes a great sweet travel snack and contains no sugar or oil.
9. Hard-Boiled Eggs: You read it right as you can carry your favorite eggs along while you travel. Hard-boiled eggs are go-to healthy travel snacks and offer a great balance of protein and fat. You can even make them the night before you travel, peel them ahead of time, or the moment you want to eat.
10. Nuts: If you are heading for an instantly-planned or surprise trip, there’s nothing better than carrying some nuts with you. You can pack a mix of your favorite nuts in an insulated food container or airtight food jar and enjoy it whenever you want. Try a mix of almonds, pistachios, cashews, peanuts, etc.
There are many snack ideas that you may consider for a day trip in summer but pairing them appropriately can help you keep fuller longer.
Whether you’re heading for a day trip or an extended one, the following tips can help you stay healthy…
- Ensure that you opt for a snack combination rich in protein and fat.
- Try to include fresh Frits and green vegetables, toasted or cooked, to munch on something healthy.
- You can always carry a little treat while you travel such as dark chocolate, dried fruits, etc to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Packing well is extremely important while you travel to prevent any leakages and there’s nothing better than investing in stainless steel food jars or insulated food containers.
- Try to avoid staying hungry for an extended period as this won’t be good for your health.
- Consider everyone’s likes and dislikes while packing for a group so that everyone can enjoy themselves during the travel.
- Travel snacks need to be easily portable, able to pass inspection, and not too messy to eat on the go.
- Most healthy travel snacks are made with whole food ingredients such as nuts, seeds, fruits, veggies, whole grains, beans, etc.
The Final Words
Whether you’re hitting the road or traveling via air or railways, carrying with you some healthy snacks will nourish you. Even when you are heading out for a day trip, it makes sense to pack and carry some heathy snacks and stick to your healthy eating routine.
So, on top of your packing list, add healthy snacks or food items as this will help you enjoy every moment of your journey without worrying about what to eat and where to eat.
Are you ready for your day trip?