Glass storage jars were the king of the kill for the last couple decades. It makes sense; they are trendy looking, see through, way safer than plastic, and fit in a modern kitchen extremely well. But a glass jar is definitely high maintenance. With insulated stainless-steel storage containers coming into picture, it’s been difficult for glass jars to retain the title. Insulated jars are an upgrade in just about every conceivable way. Let’s do a side by side comparison of the two heavyweights and settle what’s better once and for all.
- Doesn’t affect the taste of its contents Like previously mentioned, older stainless-steel storage devices used to leach into your food. It was pretty common to get a metallic or tinny taste while eating. But that is no longer the case, you can eat free of any metallic taste
- Dishwasher safe Like glass containers, stainless steel containers are dishwasher safe. They won’t rust thanks to their stainless-steel design.
- Extremely durable This is one of the biggest pros; you only have to buy your stainless-steel container the one time and never have to worry about it again.
- Comes in wide range of colors One thing about glass containers is that to be see through you have to limit the color choices. But stainless-steel containers can be any color of the rainbow, making them amazing decorative pieces.
- See throughBeing see through is a real nice feature. It allows you to make aesthetically pleasing displays and lets you keep a literal eye on your food. But see through containers come with the risk of absorbing excessive sunlight, which might heat up the contents inside, leading to creating moisture thus spoiling.
- Doesn’t affect the taste of its contents Probably the best feature of glass containers is you know what your food is going to taste the exact way it did when you put it inside the container. Plastic containers have a habit of leeching into your food.
- Dishwasher safe Being able to just throw your container into the dishwasher is a huge pro. Sometimes you just don’t have time to handwash your dishes. Be careful though, since it’s see through, any soap stains will show up. Also, since glass jars are fragile, you need to be careful while handling them.
- Oven and microwave friendly Being able to reheat your food without having to transfer it to another container is a huge plus. It’s a great way to save dishes and limit the amount of time you have to dedicate to cleanup.
Naturally, being made of glass means that they are breakable. Granted it normally takes more than a causal blow to break a glass container designed to store food.
If you see the list, there are not mention-worthy cons for a stainless-steel jar. When it comes to stainless steel storage jars, apart from the fact that they are airtight and durable, another factor you need to count in is how being opaque works for them. For spices and masalas storing them in cool dry places work. Durable, opaque and insulated stainless-steel jars do not absorb sunlight, and also maintain a stable temperature making them the perfect choice for kitchen storage. Check out the all new food storage line from Vaya, the jars are stackable, smart and insulated, all you are looking for in your kitchen jars!